When we consider marble sculpting’s history, Sculptures are among the most ancient forms of art and it is the art of producing three-dimensional figures out of marble stones. Marble is a metamorphic rock made primarily of calcite and originated from limestone.
Sculptures & Marble statues are soulful pieces of artwork as they provide a 3D visualization and the finest edges that highly impact the sensitivity of the artwork. Some artworks made by artists are beyond the imagination levels and they always ask the question in our minds, “How is it possible to make such sensitive edges from a stone or a marble”.
How Do the Marble Statues Appear to Be Alive?
Only marble has a modest translucency among the generally accessible stones. The translucent effect of pure white marble penetrates the light into the surface about 1 inch and then reflects. This translucent effect makes the finest marble statues that almost looks alive.
22. Pierre Julien – The Dying Gladiator, 1779
21. Raffaelle Monti – Sisters of Charity, 1847
20. Undine Rising from the Fountain by Chauncey Bradley
19. Statue of St. Sebastiano by Giuseppe Giorgetti
18. Michelangelo – Pietà
17. Girl Bathing by Richard James Wyatt
16. Thomas Ridgeway – The West Wind
15. Faune endormi – Oeuvre d’Edme Bouchardon
14. Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux – Ugolino and His Sons
13. Apollo and Daphne, by the Italian Artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini
12. Modesty By Antonio Corradini, 1752
11. Ambrogio Borghi – Berenice’s Tresses
10. Michelangelo, David
09. Reverse Pygmalion
08. “The West Wind” by Thomas Ridgeway Gould
07. Marble portrait of the co-emperor “Lucius Verus”
06. “Nymph” detail, Giovanni Battista Lombardi, Marble, 1864
05. Lace fabric carved solid marble stone
04. “Ugolino and his sons” by jean-baptiste carpeaux
03. “Ugolino and his sons” by jean-baptiste carpeaux
02. “The Rape of Proserpina” by Gian Lorenzo Bernini
01. Gaetano Cellini | Humanity Against Evil
Famous buildings that are made of Marble
- The Taj Mahal built in Agra, India between 1631 and 1648 is made entirely out of white marble.
- Odeon of Herodes Atticus Theatre in Athina, Greece
- The Supreme Court Building in Washington, DC
- The Pantheon in Rome, Italy
Top 7 Finest Marble Statues That Almost Looks Alive
- Gaetano Cellini | Humanity Against Evil
- “The Rape of Proserpina” by Gian Lorenzo Bernini
- “Ugolino and his sons” by jean-baptiste carpeaux
- Lace fabric carved solid marble stone
- “Nymph” detail, Giovanni Battista Lombardi, Marble, 1864
- Marble portrait of the co-emperor “Lucius Verus”
- “The West Wind” by Thomas Ridgeway Gould